Hibiscus Mojito (MOJITO CON FLOR DE JAMAICA)
Makes 1 drink
- 15 to 20 mint leaves, plus a nice sprig for garnish
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces light rum
- 6 ounces hibiscus tea* (see below)
- In the bottom of a cocktail shaker, muddle the mint leaves with the sugar and lime juice (the sugar granules help bruise the mint and extract flavor). Add the rum, hibiscus tea, and a few ice cubes, and shake well. Strain into an ice-filled glass. Garnish with a mint sprig and serve.
Hibiscus Iced Tea
Serves 4 to 6
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup loosely packed dried hibiscus flowers
- 1 cup sugar
- Bring the water to boil. Remove from the heat, then steep the hibiscus flowers for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sugar, stirring until fully melted, and allow the hibiscus flowers to steep for another 5 minutes. Strain out the flowers and allow hibiscus tea to cool at room temperature. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or until ready to drink.